perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Perrin Harkins <per...@elem.com>
Subject Re: Question about using Apache::DBI with Postgres/MySQL
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:42:21 GMT
On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 13:31 -0400, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
> I didn't see anything about DBI connections in the guide about that.

It's one of the primary reasons to use a front-end server.

I'm afraid your idea won't work because most databases don't support
passing handles across processes.  If you can figure out a way to do
that, you could theoretically have a separate process managing a pool of
them.  I doubt it would be worth it though.

With MySQL, connection times are low enough that you can get rid of
persistent connections if scalability becomes a big issue.  Typically
though, once you have a front-end proxy your remaining mod_perl
processes really do all need their own database connection, so this
might just result in some of them sitting around waiting for a
connection.  Better to increase the allowed connections to your database
server or reduce the allowed connections to your mod_perl server.

- Perrin