perl-modperl mailing list archives

From modp...@att.net
Subject Mod_Perl based chat service in Apache
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:37:02 GMT

Please allow me introduce a mod_perl based chat service at http://www.waterlet.com/b/public/e/room

Use Apache, Mod_Perl and Javascript only, no Java, yet no "refresh" or "reload" of the page.
New messages will be polled using Javascrip and be inserted smoothly into the chat window.

So far, I did not see such a service in mod_perl. There are few in PHP though (actually, there
is a library for Chat sevice in PHP). I'd like to see if the community is interested in the
idea and if to pack it to website for public use.

Some technical features:

1) a light Apache on the frontend, taking care authentications for registered members or anonymous
ones.
2) a mod_perl on backend, taking care all other operations. Messages and status data are shared
by IPC::MM.
3) only new message data will be deliver to clients. The estimated maximum capacity is about
10 rooms of average 100 chatters in a room, providing that the apache delivers 1000 - 2000
hits per second.

Let me know.

info AT waterlet DOT com