perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Marc Tardif <m...@sitepak.com>
Subject Re: Failure calling BOOT: code
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 15:52:11 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Marc Tardif wrote:
> [...]
>
>> The problem is that if I uncomment the require line in the handler, I
>> get the following error message in /tmp/mod_perl.error.log:
>>
>>   Error loading Mozilla::LDAP::API: perldap_init failed
>>
>> The solution might be related to the following XS code in API.xs:
>>
>>   BOOT:
>>   if ( perldap_init() != 0) {
>>      fprintf(stderr,
>>      "Error loading Mozilla::LDAP::API: perldap_init failed\n");
>>      exit(1);
>>   }
>>
>> So, perhaps perldap_init() is being called multiple times. Is there
>> something I can try in mod_perl to avoid this kind of problem? Can I
>> provide more information to help solve this problem?
>

> I'd try to add some debug prints in perldap_init() function and see
> where it fails (or step through with debugger).

The Mozilla::LDAP::API module was installed from an RPM. I have the
source but the makefiles don't work out of the box. I have tried
fiddling around with the compilation flags but haven't managed to get
the module compiled again. I would prefer to attach to the process with
gdb but the problem is that it that the process dies when encountering a
problem with the Perl module (see exit(1) in the XS code above).

> If it was a problem at the startup and if perldap uses some static C
> variables, you could have used
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/server.html#Dealing_with_Restarts

I have tried printing the restart_count value in my handler and it
always returns 2. Could that be the problem?

> However it looks like a runtime problem.
>
> What if you preload Mozilla::LDAP::API at the server startup?

Same thing, I still get the error message:
Error loading Mozilla::LDAP::API: perldap_init failed

> Are you using threads?

No, I'm not using threads. How can I make sure mod_perl.so hasn't been
compiled with threads?

> Can you please send the complete bug report as
> explained at http://perl.apache.org/bugs/?

Done.

--
Marc Tardif