perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Dan Wilga <dwi...@mtholyoke.edu>
Subject OT: module announcement suggestion/CPAN improvement
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:00:19 GMT
 From time to time, I see posts to this list like the one quoted
below. The problem is that, unless you already know what the module
being announced is, the message is of limited use.

If there was a short description telling me what Apache-AuthTicket
does, I would be more likely to remember that it exists the next time
I have a need for something like it. Instead, I'm given only the
module's name. In order to find out what the module does, I would
have to go to CPAN and look, which would get tedious rather quickly.

I suggest that all module announcers include a description of what
their module does, in addition to a list of changes--even if it's a
module that has been out for years and years. That way, we're more
likely to get people using modules, instead of reinventing the wheel.

In the case of the post below, I get the feeling that it was
generated automatically by CPAN when the author made an update. If
so, then the part of CPAN that does this should probably be enhanced,
as well.

--
Dan Wilga                                         dwilga@mtholyoke.edu
Web Administrator                             http://www.mtholyoke.edu