perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Dermot Paikkos" <der...@sciencephoto.co.uk>
Subject Re: Refresh referring page
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 14:44:44 GMT
On 3 May 2005 at 17:11, Issac Goldstand wrote:

> Is there any particular reason why you must split it into 4 pages?
3 reasons; I want appearance to be as if the page is refreshing on
it's own,  I thought a large batch of say 30 x 50MB tiffs would cause
the browser to timeout or give the user the impression the process
was 'dead', it was a simple way to pass lists (the original list of
files and those processed and the results) to the page.

> Why can't you do something like:
>
> local $|=1;
> $r->headers_out;
> print $tt_header;
> foreach my $f (@files) {
>     ... process file ...
>     print $tt_file_info($f);
> }
> print $tt_footer;
>
> The idea being do everything in 1 single page.  Split the template
> into a header, a footer and information for each processed image, and
> just loop the per-picture content instead of looping an entire page.

This looks like it might work if I throw away Template::Toolkit. I
don't think it can be configured to just output a header, loop and
output a footer but I could be wrong. It might be worth a try if I
could reproduce the template I have with some other templating system
- or forget templating altogether for this handler.

> The only other way I can think of to do this would be to open a second
> window which calls a second handler which can share the information of
> the first response handler, via shared memory, or a shared cache, or
> whatever (or to move the "work" into a cleanup handler and use the
> original window with a second handler who can share information with
> the cleanup stuff - but I don't know if you can delay reading POST
> information beyond the response handler....)

This looks complicated. I was hoping for something in the HTTP
headers that I could use that might ask for a new page if the
existing one was a  older than 30secs.

I might have a look at the method above.

>   Issac
Thanx.

> Dermot Paikkos wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >MP2 RC5, Template,  Image::Magick
> >
> >I hope this is not off topic, apologises if it is.
> >
> >I have a perl script written as a handler. It scans a dir for image
> >files and offers the user a chance to convert them from tiff to jpeg.
> > As there can be lots of files of some size, it can take some time
> >for the process to return.
> >
> >What I wanted was to loop through the files and refresh the page as
> >each file was processed. So I had something like;
> >

> >$r = shift if $ENV{MOD_PERL};
> >my $tt = Template->new...
> >
> >foreach my $f (@files) {
> >	my @files_processed;
> >	...snip
> >	push(@files_processed,$f);
> >
> >	my $vars = {
> >			files => \@files_processed,
> >		};
> >	$r->content_type('text/html');
> >	$r->headers_out;
> >	$tt->process($tt_file,$vars)
> >      	  || die $tt->error;
> >
> >} # End of foreach
> >
> ># $r->headers_out;
> >
> >I thought this would re-send the $vars and headers_out until the list
> > was exhausted but in practise what I get was the page repeated for
> >each file. EG: if there are 4 files I get 4 <html></html> and a messy
> > looking page.
> >
> >I am not sure what I am doing wrong. If I move the headers_out
> >outside the foreach loop I get to the array contents but I still get
> >the (size of @files_processed) x <html> tags rather than one nice
> >page and I still have to wait for the whole process to complete.
> >
> >I imagine I am going to have to take another approach but can't thing
> > of one. Does anyone now how to refresh a referring page or loop in
> >the may I described?
> >
> >Thanx in advance.
> >Dp.

~~
Dermot Paikkos * dermot@sciencephoto.com
Network Administrator @ Science Photo Library
Phone: 0207 432 1100 * Fax: 0207 286 8668