perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollu...@p6m7g8.com>
Subject Re: Which OS would you choose given a free choice
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:21:17 GMT
>I'm getting a new server and was planning on going with Fedora Core 3
>and plesk. But it was just suggested that I maybe consider FreeBSD and
>DA. Never even heard of DA (about to look it up) but being a Mac user
>I must know a little about FreeBSD.

I'm going to have to chime in after all my FreeBSD post :)

FreeBSD:
1. PORTS SYSTEM
2. 5.3+ has much better threading model
3. OS X applications tend to lag slighly behind
    particularly perl and autotools
4. apache.org is running FreeBSD
5. bigger user commnunity
6. I know that all of perl,httpd,apr,apr-util,apr-iconv,mp2 compile and
run on it
7. libapreq2 is 90% there
8. I despise the bastardized etc system of Mac OS X.
    Don't get me wrong, I own a mac(g4) too:)
9. The intergrated build enivorment is the best I've seen.
    [thats probably personal opinion]
10. Directory structure
11. Disk Slicing

I'm sure I could think of more......