perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Steven Lembark <lemb...@wrkhors.com>
Subject Re: Tar process not dying after user hits "stop"
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2004 06:11:30 GMT

-- David Nicol <davidnicol@gmail.com>

>> P.S. I included the content-length part just in case anyone knew of a
>> better way to calculate the size a tarball is going to be before it is
>> actually generated...
>
> if you have enough disk space, you could actually create the tarball into
> a directory that apache is serving as static, then when its done,
> redirect the user there,
> instead of running tar twice.  Or actually create the tarball, take
> its size, serve it,
> then delete it.

That or use gnu cpio which will read/write tarballs and
at least exit non-zero for you if the write/extract fails.
Unless the stuff being tarballed is already squished (e.g.,
.gz files or jpeg) you can gzip the output on the fly,
at which point the archive and filesystem overhead will
get balanced by any squish factor.

--
Steven Lembark                                       85-09 90th Street
Workhorse Computing                                Woodhaven, NY 11421