perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Tim Pushor <t...@crossthread.com>
Subject Re: Persisting data across authenticate <-> authorize ?
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:43:31 GMT
Perrin Harkins wrote:

>Hi Tim,
>
>Welcome to mod_perl!

Thanks Perrin!

>>I would like to cache this information somehow so
>>that the authorization handler doesn't need to perform these operations
>>over.
>>

>Put it in $r->pnotes() and it will be available in later phases.

Could I not just set a global variable in my authentication handler that
the authorization handler can then access?

>>I am already using IPC::Shareable in the authentication handler
>>and would prefer to not use that mechanism.
>>

>I recommend avoiding IPC::Shareable for anything.  Cache::FastMmap is a
>lot faster.

Why avoid? Strictly for performance sake? Cache::FastMmap looks
promising, but I need something where I have more control over when the
cache entries are expired. Personally, I am not crazy about using shared
memory as well, but in my C module I used an array of berkeley DB's, and
while it worked and performace was fine for my application - I fear that
it wouldn't scale well.

Thanks,
Tim