perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Steve Hay <steve....@uk.radan.com>
Subject Re: Fix perl/ithreads random failures
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:51:52 GMT
Gisle Aas wrote:

>Steve Hay <steve.hay@uk.radan.com> writes:
>

>>Gisle Aas wrote:
>>

>>>I had to do tests with an older version of mod_perl_1.99 that still
>>>had the perl/ithreads* tests.  I see that these tests was removed from
>>>the distribution in [1], but I think that if you apply the attached
>>>patch you can start distribution these tests again.
>>>
>>>[1] http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/modperl-2.0/lib/ModPerl/Manifest.pm?r1=1.9&r2=1.10
>>>

>>mp2 is now in svn, not cvs.
>>

>Isn't CVS in sync as well?
>
>I read <http://perl.apache.org/contribute/> and it only mentioned CVS
>and had a pointer to the CVS web interface.
>

>> Check-out the latest svn revision as described at:
>>
>>http://perl.apache.org/download/source.html#Development_mod_perl_2_0_Source_Distribution
>>

>This one also has pointers to the CVS snapshots and the CVS web
>interface so I assume that it is kept in sync.

Other people can say for sure whether cvs is kept in sync, but my
impression was that it was not.  I could be wrong.  Anyway, svn is
definitely the way forward.

I know that not all the docs have been updated yet, hence there are
various references to cvs around the place still.

>>and you can try that rather than having to go back to an older version.
>>

>The patch was reletive to an older version by from glancing at the CVS
>head it looked that it would apply there as well.

Yes, the patch applied to the current svn version.

>>The test file, of course, is in the dev source, but is currently marked
>>as under construction:
>>
>>http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/trunk/t/perl/ithreads.t
>>
>>Anyway, I tried your patch (with the ithreads test re-instated) and
>>sadly it didn't fix it for me :(  The complete diff of changes that I
>>made to my svn checkout (revision 111269) are at the end of this mail.
>>
>>The following test sequence still fails every time for me:
>>
>>perl t/TEST -verbose t/modules/reload.t t/perl/api.t t/perl/ithreads.t
>>
>>on WinXP with Apache 2.0.50 and Perl 5.8.5.
>>

>So what is the output when this fails?
>
>I tested on HP-UX/IA-64 and the fix cured the problem there.  The fix
>is also obviously correct as both the parent and the child thread
>needs to lock for it to take effect.

I can't argue about whether it is correct or not, it's just that it
didn't fix the failures that I've been experiencing for some time on WinXP.

On WinXP the test sequence that I posted in my last mail causes the
Apache.exe process to crash.  Nothing is written to the error_log, and
only this appears in the console (even with the -verbose option):

t\perl\ithreads.....request has failed (the response code was: 500)
see t/logs/error_log for more details
dubious
        Test returned status 9 (wstat 2304, 0x900)

There is no popup application error dialogue box, hence no opportunity
to step into the source and even see where it crashed.

This has been discussed several times on the dev list (which is probably
where we should be now...), most recently here:

Stas can't even reliably reproduce the problem on Linux, so hasn't been
able to debug it himself at all.

What was the problem that you had on HP/UX?  Was it crashing or just
failing (as in "not ok")?

- Steve

Radan Computational Ltd.

We would like to take this opportunity to wish all our customers, suppliers and colleagues
seasons greetings.  We will not be sending corporate greetings cards this year.  Instead,
we will be making a donation to charity.

and intended for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or there
are any problems, please notify the sender immediately.  The unauthorized use, disclosure,
copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden.  Note that any views or opinions
of Radan Computational Ltd.  The recipient(s) of this message should check it and any attached
virus transmitted by this email.