perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Tom Schindl <tomAtLi...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: Perl + apache + cgi
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:18:01 GMT
Brent Clark wrote:
>> Oh. Think now I've got it. You are running into suexec-problems
>> because your Root-Apache is running under anonther user than your
>> V-Host-Apache.
>>
>> Apache is now using suexec to execute your scripts and because your
>> script directory is not part of the suexec-path it cannot execute your
>> script.
>>
>> Why do you need to run your scripts as gevens/gevens?
>>
>> Tom
>>

> Hi
>
> Well the owners of the scripts are gevens,  and I dont think if I remove
> those entrys, it will make any difference.
>
> Brent

As far as I understand the docs if you have an apache compiled with
suexec and you are using different users in different v-host apache is
using suexec and this fails in your case because the paths of suexec can
only be defined at compile-time.

It doesn't make no difference who is the owner of the script it's much
more important which user executes them. Normally it's a less privileged
user like apache.apache because it has no write access e.g. to your
home-directory.

In most of the cases it's a bad idea to run scripts like you as a normal
system user because it opens a security whole.

Nevertheless this is not a cgi-support forum so we should take off the
discussion from this list which is dedicated to mod-perl.

You can E-Mail me offline but I suggest that you read the docs about
apache-config especially this ones:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/cgi.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/suexec.html

As a fast solution you could try to remove the entries User and Group
from the conf-file and take care that the user/group your apache is
running under has access to the directories you want to read/execute.

Tom