perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Arshavir Grigorian ...@m-cam.com>
Subject Re: logging at startup
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:09:23 GMT
Perrin Harkins wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 10:11, Arshavir Grigorian wrote:
>

>>The problem is that when the module is loaded there is no request object
>>and I am not sure how I can use log_error without it.
>>

>Are you in a request at the time when the error happens?  If so, you can
>get a request object by calling Apache->request().  If not, you won't be
>able to send any HTML anyway, so just print a message to STDERR.
>
>- Perrin

Thanks. No I am not in a request because this is happening as the server
is starting up and the module is being loaded (startup.pl).
How can I write my code to know whether it is in a request and only if
so, output the standard error page. Calling Apache->request() when there
is no request gives an error (Can't locate object method "request" via
package "Apache"). Should I do something like:

eval {
    $r = Apache->request();
}

      # we have a request, dump the error page
}

On a separate note, why would one even bother with
Apache::Log->log_error? instead of just using CGI::Carp (for
simple/basic error loggin that is

I am just trying to wrap my head around the many ways of doing the same
thing, so any comments you might have would be very much appreciated.

Arshavir