perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Kee Hinckley <naz...@somewhere.com>
Subject RE: mod_perl presence at OSCON (and other CONs) is at danger
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:46:56 GMT
At 9:51 AM -0700 6/9/04, Todd Cranston-Cuebas wrote:
>lot, but you get the point. Until people can pick a cheap, reliable, and
>well-known hosting service where mod_perl is one of the main options, you

But it has to be more than mod_perl.  mod_perl is far too low-level.
Even Embperl or Mason require too much work to get started.  It
absolutely has to be a layer above that.  You want something that
provides the basic tools right up front, so that your typical web
site (feedback forms, press releases...) is a no-brainer, and after
that the user is hooked.  What we could really use is a company that
fills the RedHat/Cygnus space for Perl, pulling all the separate
components together into a useful whole, and adding new glue where
necessary.  And for maximum leverage, part of that glue should be a
mod_perl-based version of what's currently available in PHP, for use
as a transition tool.  It's not too late, but it's getting close.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/         Next Generation Spam Defense

everyone else's.