perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: mp2 : Win32::GetShortPathName usage
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2004 16:26:38 GMT
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Random Joe wrote:

> --- Randy Kobes <randy@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Random Joe wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I am trying to build mod_perl 1.99_13 on Win 2000
> > (VC 6.0).
> > >
> > > In mod_perl-1.99_13\lib\ModPerl\BuildOptions.pm
> > > around lines 110 - 111
> > >
> > > if (Apache::Build::WIN32()) {
> > >     # MP_AP_PREFIX may not contain spaces
> > >     require Win32;
> > >     $val = Win32::GetShortPathName($val);
> > > }
> > >
> > > Why do we need to require Win32.pm ?
> > > Win32::GetShortPathName is in Perl Core.
> >
> > You're right - that require of Win32 could be
> > removed.
> >
> > > I also have another doubt.
> > >
> > > I want to avoid using Win32.pm. I have built perl
> > > 5.8.3 native on win32. I notice that mod_perl uses
> > > Win32::Process in
> > > Apache-Test\lib\Apache\TestServer.pm. If I ignore
> > > this usage or workaround it - can I safetly avoid
> > > using Win32::* (libwin32) w.r.t to mod_perl ?
> >
> > Win32::Process is used to run the tests, which is
> > probably
> > a good idea ... Was there a problem installing
> > libwin32?
> > Or some other reason you want to avoid it?
>
> Non technical reason :-) Becomes another thing I have
> to document, maintain etc

Fair enough :) If you don't want to run the tests, you could
get away without Win32::Process, but Win32::GetShortPathName
is still required to build it. So you'd either have to
install libwin32 anyway to build it, or comment out the
relevant Win32::* calls.

However, it's *really* recommended to run the test suite,
which is pretty extensive; if you run into problems using
mod_perl, and ask here about it, one of the first questions
asked is how well the tests fared.

--
best regards,
randy