perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Brett Beaumont" <brett.beaum...@sytec.co.nz>
Subject RE: AuthCookieNTLM and browser hangs
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:39:41 GMT
I tried reducing ntlmsemtimeout to 1, but did not see any change in the behaviour. I have also
managed to get this module to hang under our development environment now, though I'm not sure
how come.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shannon Eric Peevey [mailto:speeves@unt.edu]
Sent: Thursday, 3 June 2004 11:03 p.m.
To: Brett Beaumont
Cc: Stefano Ciancio; modperl@perl.apache.org; Brendon Price
Subject: Re: AuthCookieNTLM and browser hangs

>>All,
>>
>>We are testing AuthCookieNTLM to secure our Intranet. We are running Apache
>>1.3, mod_perl, and AuthCookieNTLM. Our requests are also rewritten using
>>mod_rewrite. If we hit the server quickly enough, and with enough requests,
>>the browsers start to hang. This problem only occurs in our UAT environment,
>>while the module works really well in dev.
>>
>>Some of our users are logged into a different domain and do get prompted for
>>their credentials on the domain we authenticate against. However, if enough of
>>these users attempt to log in to the intranet at once, the browsers start to
>>hang during the authentication process. Once one browser is hung, I can point
>>a new browser window at our intranet and the first browser window kicks back
>>into life, and the new browser window hangs.
>>
>>It seems like the lock is getting stuck somewhere. Once the authentication is
>>complete, and the authentication cookie issued, the user can continue to
>>browse the intranet successfully.
>>
>>Has anybody else experienced a similar problem with this module?

Gerald wrote this in the body of the module:

    # we cannot attach our object to the connection record. Since in
    # Apache 1.3 there is only one connection at a time per process
    # we can cache our object and check if the connection has changed.
    # The check is done by slightly changing the remote_host member, which
    # persists as long as the connection does
    # This has to be reworked to work with Apache 2.0

I'm assuming that this can be fixed in a threaded mpm,  but haven't
looked into it yet.  At this time, the only way to work around this
would be to shorten the:

=head2 PerlSetVar ntlmsemtimeout

it defaults to 2 seconds, but can be specified.  Try that, and let us know if you see some
improvement.

thanks,

--
Shannon Eric Peevey                     =>  "speeves"
Dyno-Mite! System Administrator         =>  speeves@unt.edu