perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Matt Sergeant <m...@sergeant.org>
Subject Re: reverse IP lookup for check all doimains on the server
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2004 07:00:54 GMT
On 11 Jun 2004, at 23:49, Maxipoint Rep Office wrote:

> RE: yes I wish reverse lookup from IPs on any server at the web!
>
> any help?
>
> :-)

Sure. What you want to do isn't possible.

DNS maps host names to IPs, not generally the other way around. You can
lookup $reverse_ip.in-addr.arpa, and hope to get a hostname, but it
won't be all hostnames on the IP address - it'll just be one hostname,
and possibly not even one that will get you a web site.

Sorry.

The only way I can think of you even getting moderately close is to
crawl through the .com domain zone file, checking each one for a web
site at the other end and putting the IP into a DB of your own. Then
you can do the reverse mapping on your web site. As you might imagine
this only gets you moderately close to a solution.

Matt.