perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Eric <e...@dmcontact.com>
Subject Re: mod_perl presence at OSCON (and other CONs) is at danger
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:19:27 GMT
Hi,

In Advanced Perl Programming, under the heading the case for scripting. That is something
that I think would fit in very well in a talk. Lots of people know there are an endless number
of very cool impressive things you can do with Perl and mod_perl. The amazing one liners,
the tricks that make people slap their head. But it seems to me the idea of the big model,
the whole structure that will encompass everything you do in your organization is what many
are striving for, so cool things are looked at almost as negative. IMHO that is why you see
big corp. that use mod_perl using Mason, at least as a starting point. I think the other aspect
of mod_perl that I would want to push very hard is the deep hooks into Apache. Just as a small
example of something I have not yet figured out, but am pretty sure I can find a way with
mod_perl, I want to capture STDERR and redirect it to an "in memory file" There are a bunch
of cpan module that do something like this, but I started to wonder about how that works with
Apache itself since STDERR gets written to the error_log(please don't give me the answer BTW)
:) The main point I am trying for here in a clumsy way is that I am not sure how many people
developing web apps with other tools are thinking in terms of how to alter the way Apache
behaves but rather are thinking about how their app deals with Apache. I think that is a massive
difference and a good expression of the power of mod_perl.

Sorry for the blathering, I don't have much time to write this kind of stuff at work, but
I am hoping this might provide some ideas.

Thanks,

Eric