perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Configuration problems
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:09:12 GMT
Frank Maas wrote:
>>David Arnold wrote:
>>
>>>Oooh! that's easy. Just change one line of rocks.pl. That is, change
>>>
>>>print "Content-type: text/plain\n\n";
>>>print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
>>>
>>>And all is well.
>>
>>Strange. It looks like a problem in your browser then. text/plain is
>>a fine content-type.
>

> Yes, but in conjunction with lines that only end with linefeeds (and
> not carriage return/linefeed), MS-IE tends to ask you if you want to
> save it. Displaying it in Notepad (the default standard for ASCII)
> would show one long line of text. I think our Redmond friends once
> thought that "this was not what users wanted", so they offered you the
> choice to save it ;-)

I'm not sure this has to do with linefeeds. The difference here is between
content-type's not linefeeds.

I don't remember how this is done with Apache 1.3, but I think in 2.0 it
doesn't make any difference whether you say \r\n or just \n, the Content-type
line is parsed and then Apache sends the right header with the right ending.
The only time you can DIY, is when you send your own headers and tell Apache
not to parse it (e.g. nph- scripts).