perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp1] Dumper module becoming undefined sporadically
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 09:19:44 GMT
Danny Rathjens wrote:
> I started getting this error sporadically from different pieces of code.
> Both modules(cached) and scripts(not cached):
>    [error] PerlRun: `Undefined subroutine &Data::Dumper::Dumper
>
> perl -MData::Dumper -e'print Dumper %ENV' works fine from commandline
> which rules out a hdd problem.
>
> An apache restart stopped error completely, which led me to think
> it was a RAM problem that messed up the symbol table in a certain
> apache child which caused the sporadic errors.
>
> I had no errors for ten days, but now it started doing it again,
> with the exact same undefined message for Dumper, which makes me
> realize it's not a RAM issue.
>
> It started yesterday, and code had not been modified for 5 days.
> I also have
> PerlInitHandler Apache::StatINC
> PerlSetVar StatINC_UndefOnReload On
>
> Any ideas what could be causing this problem, or suggestions as to how
> I should investigate it further?
>
> Here is my version info
> Embedded Perl version v5.6.1 for Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) mod_throttle/3.1.2
> mod_perl/1.29 mod_ssl/2.8.16 OpenSSL/0.9.6b
>
> This is the simplified script I made to reproduce the problem:
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> use Data::Dumper;
> print "Content-type: text/plain\n\n";
> print Dumper(\%ENV);
> exit;
>
> Which resulted, sporadically(upon hitting certain apache child I
> assume), in this error:
> [Fri May 28 15:09:25 2004] [error] PerlRun: `Undefined subroutine
> &Data::Dumper::Dumper called at /data/cgi-bin/printenv line 4

I think it's due to your use of StatINC, please have a read of this section:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache/Reload.html#Problems_with_Scripts_Running_with_Registry_Handlers_that_Cache_the_Code

You should move to Apache::Reload anyway (for mp1 it's available on CPAN, mp2
is a part of the core), though you will probably have the same issue.