perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: mod_perl 2 / %ENV / "system" function
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 09:09:31 GMT
Hèctor Alòs i Font wrote:
> En/na Stas Bekman ha escrit:
>
>> Hèctor Alòs i Font wrote:
>>
>>> En/na Stas Bekman ha escrit:

>>> Thanks for the answer. In fact I saw this piece of documentation
>>> already, but I'm not sure it suits for my case: as I understand, we
>>> might push the parameters in the startup file... but that's useless
>>> if we really want to pass a parameter which is changing from one
>>> execution to the other (not in the case of $ORACLE_PATH). It seems
>>> that I'll have to change quite a little amount of code :-(
>>

>> You understand why we can't change the C environ, right? We had to
>> write code to decouple it so %ENV will work correctly under threads.
>> Without this decoupling a hell breaks loose as one thread will affect
>> %ENV of all other threads (well perl interpreters in our case)
>>
>> Try Env::C if you are using prefork.
>>
> Yes, I understand pretty well. Fortunately i'm not using threads, so
> this module would perfectly suits... but i'm woking under Solaris and
> the module does not build under it: i'll have to make a patch, change
> the web programme or do not upgrade to mod_perl 2. I'm not sure i'll be
> able to do the first. Thanks for the help.

Right, if you or someone submits patches to make Env::C working on Solaris I'd
gladly apply them. I also need patches to make it working under mswin32.

Now that I think of it, Env::C is probably not the best name for this module,
but the idea came from being able to modify things that C sees, from Perl :)