perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: mod_perl presence at OSCON (and other CONs) is at danger
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:37:01 GMT
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 10:55, Frank Wiles wrote:
>
>>  I agree mod_perl needs more PR.  I think we've got a great community
>>  of people to help on the mailing list, tons of great documentation,
>>  but lack in several areas:
>>
>>  1) PR announcements in general (When is the last time you saw mod_perl
>>     in the press?)
>>  2) Online and magazine articles about mod_perl
>>  3) HOWTOs on specific subjects
>>  4) Small application examples with developer commentary.
>

> These are really two different things.  The first two are more about
> getting the word out while the second two are about helping people with
> practical coding issues.  We are well-equipped to handle the second two
> right here, but the first two might require some help from other groups.
>
> In particular, I would say it's a mistake to think that mod_perl
> specifically needs PR.  There is no important difference between
> promoting mod_perl and promoting Perl in general.  That's why I think
> this sort of thing should be pursued through The Perl Foundation, rather
> than as some sort of separate splinter group.

I tend to partially disagree here, when you talk about web technologies, one
needs to choose between mod_perl, FastCGI, SpeedyCGI, mod_cgi, mod_php,
mod_python, etc. So promoting mod_perl is a bit different than promoting Perl.
Besides by promoting mod_perl you promote Perl - it's a two-edges sword.

>>  Since many of us will be in Portland for OSCON, maybe we should get
>>  together in person to discuss mod_perl PR in more detail?
>

> Yes, but maybe we should be more inclusive, like organizing a Perl PR
> BOF.  That way we can keep the mod_perl BOF free for fun tech talk.

 From the advocacy@perl list it seems that one needs a killer app to promote
Perl. while mod_perl is not an app, it can be a killer base driving killer
Perl frameworks and Apps. So if mod_perl is successful as a technology choice,
so much better for Perl.

In any case, publishing mod_perl articles is something that could help a great
deal. Once mp2.0 is released, I may start 2.0 series of articles on perl.com,
similar to the mp1 series http://www.perl.com/pub/au/Stas_Bekman, which were
republished on quite a few other sites (some of them linked here:
http://stason.org/works/mod_perl.html). But we really need to get other folks
write mod_perl and mod_perl apps articles. There are quite a few online zines
(including perl.com) that have a very low barrier for article submissions.