perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Arnaud Blancher <Arnaud.Blanc...@ungi.net>
Subject Re: mod_perl presence at OSCON (and other CONs) is at danger
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:27:14 GMT
Perrin Harkins a écrit :

>On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 10:55, Frank Wiles wrote:
>

>>  I agree mod_perl needs more PR.  I think we've got a great community
>>  of people to help on the mailing list, tons of great documentation,
>>  but lack in several areas:
>>
>>  1) PR announcements in general (When is the last time you saw mod_perl
>>     in the press?)
>>  2) Online and magazine articles about mod_perl
>>  3) HOWTOs on specific subjects
>>  4) Small application examples with developer commentary.
>>

>These are really two different things.  The first two are more about
>getting the word out while the second two are about helping people with
>practical coding issues.  We are well-equipped to handle the second two
>right here, but the first two might require some help from other groups.
>
>In particular, I would say it's a mistake to think that mod_perl
>specifically needs PR.  There is no important difference between
>promoting mod_perl and promoting Perl in general.  That's why I think
>this sort of thing should be pursued through The Perl Foundation, rather
>than as some sort of separate splinter group.

yes and not
you know, lot of leader says perl (in cgi of course, but they dont known
mod perl) is so slow.
so they use php or java or ...
says mod_perl is really fast (i make a joke in my company, i said i have
put off my atlhon 1 GHZ and get an xeon precessor, all saids 'whaow', in
fact i just use mod_perl in the same computer)
geve a complete idiot installation and sample application demonstration
(maybe an rpm in /usr/local/httpd_modperl on port  8080 ... like
tomcat's sample)
and after you could says, it perl
you can learn/use perl for your script, you system and you web, you xml
application, ...

i dont understand why the apache fondation dont talk more about perl
(whitch is faster) but always of java/xml.

it's just my point of view.
Arnaud.