perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: mod_perl 2 / %ENV / "system" function
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 13:51:59 GMT
Hèctor Alòs i Font wrote:
> En/na Stas Bekman ha escrit:
>
>> Hèctor Alòs i Font wrote:
>>
>>> I'm migrating a web application from mod_perl 1 to mod_perl 2 [new
>>> environment: Apache/2.0.49 (Unix) mod_perl/1.99_14 Perl/v5.8.4].
>>>
>>> The problem is that in some places the %ENV variable is used to pass
>>> parameters to programmes called via "system". Now these variables are
>>> not found in the called programme. E.g.
>>

>> Right, environ is not tied in mp2 due to threads issues. Please take a
>> look at:
>> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.html#C_Libraries_Don_t_See_C__ENV__Entries_Set_by_Perl_Code

> Thanks for the answer. In fact I saw this piece of documentation
> already, but I'm not sure it suits for my case: as I understand, we
> might push the parameters in the startup file... but that's useless if
> we really want to pass a parameter which is changing from one execution
> to the other (not in the case of $ORACLE_PATH). It seems that I'll have
> to change quite a little amount of code :-(

You understand why we can't change the C environ, right? We had to write code
to decouple it so %ENV will work correctly under threads. Without this
decoupling a hell breaks loose as one thread will affect %ENV of all other
threads (well perl interpreters in our case)

Try Env::C if you are using prefork.