perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: mod_perl presence at OSCON (and other CONs) is at danger
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 13:19:41 GMT
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> It so appears that in the last few years we get less and less mod_perl
>> talks and tutorials at the big (non-YAPC) conferences. And that's a
>> bad trend. It certainly affects the number of mod_perl job offers,
>> since those who decide which technology to choose for their next
>> project go to those big conferences and chances are very high that
>> they will pick the technology that had a dominating presense in terms
>> of tutorials and presentations.
>

> I have seen both you and Geoff give talks at various conferences, and
> have always learned something new.  I would recommend talks and
> tutorials by either of you to anyone interested in learning more about
> mod_perl.
>
> I don't see the same gloomy story in the conferences this year though.
> It seems likely to me that nearly every talk about web-related uses of
> Perl will talk about mod_perl in some way.  Even Vivek's talk which has
> PersistentPerl in the title will probably mention whether or not the
> techniques are all equally applicable to mod_perl.
>
> mod_perl is no longer a new tchnology that people need lots of help to
> understand; it is now the accepted standard for building any serious web
> application in Perl.  The result is that there is less talk about
> mod_perl itself and more about what people are doing with it.  This is
> partly due to the work that you and others have done over the last few
> years: good books and on-line documentation are now available to teach
> people mod_perl, and even survey books like Perl Cookbook cover it.
>
> These days, nearly every web-related job posted on jobs.perl.org asks
> for mod_perl experience.  That's a good sign of success to me, and is a
> lot different from how things were a few years ago.  Thanks to you and
> Geoff for your ongoing efforts in support of mod_perl and this community.

Thanks for the kind words, Perrin. And your contribution (and other folks) is
not to be underestimated.

I guess it's still important to make an effort to have mod_perl appear more in
the media (e.g. articles, announcements), conferences, etc. But your viewpoint
is interesting.  It'd be really nice to have someone doing PR for mod_perl,
like all those Java and PHP projects do.