perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject mod_perl presence at OSCON (and other CONs) is at danger
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 22:09:49 GMT
It so appears that in the last few years we get less and less mod_perl talks
and tutorials at the big (non-YAPC) conferences. And that's a bad trend. It
certainly affects the number of mod_perl job offers, since those who decide
which technology to choose for their next project go to those big conferences
and chances are very high that they will pick the technology that had a
dominating presense in terms of tutorials and presentations.

How can you change that? Go to the big (non-YAPC) conferences and especially
to mod_perl tutorials. Since conference organizers get a lion chunk of their
revenues (even if only to cut it even) from the tutorials, that's where the
battle is. The less tutorials on the mod_perl technology you have, the less
mod_perl presentations and overall presence will be, the less new mod_perl
jobs will be created.

This year mod_perl's presense at OSCon really sucks. We have two tutorials
which are under a question that will happen at all and just one mod_perl
presentation. Plus a few more related presentations of technologies riding
mod_perl. Just a few years ago, we had about 25 tutorials and presentations.

If some of the mod_perl tutorials will be canceled this year, don't expect the
conference organisers giving them a second chance next year, which brings us
pretty close to zero presence. And that's a gloomy future if you ask me.

So if you want to change things, go to your bosses and ask them to send you to
the tutorials. If they can't afford two, make it one and make that choice
Geoffrey Young's "Programming the Apache Lifecycle"
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2004/view/e_sess/5082
Why Geoffrey's? It's because the stuff I'm going to teach you at my tutorial
is ready available in the online documentation and you can read it by
yourself. But not so for Geoff's unique material. And all those who have ever
heard Geoff presenting, will agree with me, that he is one of the best
speakers OSCon (and other conferences) ever had and most of us, speakers, need
to learn from Geoff. I'd go for Geoff's talk just for the great experience,
even though I know most of the material he presents. His tutorial will be
covering both mp1 and mp2 if you didn't know.

So if you enjoy your mod_perl job and want to continue so in the future, make
sure that you come to the mod_perl tutorials and presentations at OSCon and
other big conferences.

Here is the OSCon info.
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2004/

p.s. the deadline for tutorial cutoffs (at least 20 attendees) is June 21th.
So if you were planning to go to the tutorials, make sure you register (or add
the tutorials if you already did) before that date.