perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Perrin Harkins <per...@elem.com>
Subject Re: mod_perl presence at OSCON (and other CONs) is at danger
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2004 00:39:39 GMT
On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 09:56, James.Q.L wrote:
> > Problem with virtual hosts? Like what?
>
> here http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/multiuser/multiuser.html
>
> so people will chose php over mod_perl under this circumstance.

Actually, as I understand it, PHP has all the same problems.  There is a
"safe mode", but enabling it tends to break things, so many ISPs turn it
off.  Even with it on, I believe you can still redefine core functions
at will, not to mention just coding something that will chew CPU or RAM
until the server dies or an rlimit kills your process.  I've been told
that many PHP hosts actually run PHP through CGI for this reason.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, Chris.

Regardless, let's not go picking fights with PHP.  PHP and Perl have a
lot in common, and I would rather see people use PHP than a proprietary
system.  It's not necessary to attack PHP in order to promote Perl.

- Perrin