perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Perrin Harkins <per...@elem.com>
Subject Re: mod_perl presence at OSCON (and other CONs) is at danger
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:14:59 GMT
On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 10:55, Frank Wiles wrote:
>   I agree mod_perl needs more PR.  I think we've got a great community
>   of people to help on the mailing list, tons of great documentation,
>   but lack in several areas:
>
>   1) PR announcements in general (When is the last time you saw mod_perl
>      in the press?)
>   2) Online and magazine articles about mod_perl
>   3) HOWTOs on specific subjects
>   4) Small application examples with developer commentary.

These are really two different things.  The first two are more about
getting the word out while the second two are about helping people with
practical coding issues.  We are well-equipped to handle the second two
right here, but the first two might require some help from other groups.

In particular, I would say it's a mistake to think that mod_perl
specifically needs PR.  There is no important difference between
promoting mod_perl and promoting Perl in general.  That's why I think
this sort of thing should be pursued through The Perl Foundation, rather
than as some sort of separate splinter group.

>   What I'm thinking about is much like Perrin's great article about
>   etoys.com, only with full working code and copious amounts of
>   commentary about it.

Thanks.  I have a couple more articles in the pipeline about handling
specific issues, but not a comprehensive code example.  The trouble is
that writing that kind of thing is generally too much work for just an
article.

If someone asked me for an example app to look at today, I would point
them at Krang (http://krang.sourceforge.net/).  It is a complete working
application, not a toy or demo, and the code is well-organized and takes
advantage of many great CPAN modules.  It uses a model-view-controller
design, and follows best practices for testing, portability, etc.

The only downside is that real applications are fairly complex, and
sometimes that makes it harder to learn from them.  No one has done a
better job of demonstrating the basic concepts in a short article than
Kake, with her "How to Avoid Writing Code" story:
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/07/15/nocode.html

>   Since many of us will be in Portland for OSCON, maybe we should get
>   together in person to discuss mod_perl PR in more detail?

Yes, but maybe we should be more inclusive, like organizing a Perl PR
BOF.  That way we can keep the mod_perl BOF free for fun tech talk.

- Perrin