perl-modperl mailing list archives

From modp...@att.net
Subject Re: Why I use mod_perl (PR stuff)
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 18:01:47 GMT
James G Smith <JGSmith@TAMU.Edu> wrote:
> For many applications, you are correct.  However, some situations
> require support of the most basic systems.
>
> Part of the problem with XHTML is that it is a page description
> language instead of a semantic markup language.  We need to be able
> to support both screen displays as well as handhelds, phones, etc.,
> that might not be able to use all the stuff we want in the richer
> screen media.  Part of the other problem is that people writing with
> XHTML will try to make the page appear as they want instead of
> letting the stylesheet do it for them -- all the management in the
> world can't change government workers.
>
> The other thing I was trying to avoid was drastic changes in markup
> when there hasn't been a significant change in the semantics.  Forms
> come to mind for this.  XHTML form elements are too closely tied to
> presentation and not closely enough to the semantics.

I am slowly moving my applications to XHTML. I did meet difficulties
where a simply template tag in TT, H:T and Mason would be very hard to
implement in XHTML. For example, the HTML form tags.
Even <input...> would not be easy, not to mention <select...> --- just as
in your exmaple. But finally, it looks I can always found a solution
when I learned more about it. On the other hand, all these difficulties
we are talking about exist in Java servlet too. My personal experience is
that XHTML provides a larger set of variation than H:T, but less than TT.
I understand that most existing applications need not be moved to
XHTM --- which will be a huge job and the benifit gained would be little
--- and my own major applications are still on top of H:T. But
I like to experience a little more new things. Since we are here
talking about PR of mod_perl, I'd like to propose the idea and
to get you people's ideas.

>We also can't depend on customers having modern browsers (and
>sometimes fear that they do, in the case of IE 6).  We have customers
>all over the globe that must be able to manage their account
>information.  This also means that we don't use any scripting except
>to make things easier -- everything has to work without scripting on
>the client side.

This is correct. But again, I think this could also be a reason why
we prepare our page in two set of data: a XHTML template and
dynamically-generated XML data. We can serve more XML based clients
in the future.

Pod Merl