perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Callback called exit.
Date Thu, 06 May 2004 19:19:30 GMT
Brian Hirt wrote:
> I too followed the advice too, but it did nothing but lead my down the
> wrong path.     The advice should be updated.
>
> My point is that $^M does absolutely nothing unless you use perl's
> malloc, which isn't true for most common perl installations these days.
>  compiling with PERL_EMERGENCY_SBRK doesn't help either because it's
> the default if you usemymalloc, and useless if you don't   You MUST
> compile perl with "-Dusemymalloc=y".   A simple grep in the perl hints
> directory shows that many popular systems such as linux, freebsd and
> openbsd default to the system malloc which disables the functionality
> of $^M.
>
> I'd simply like to see the documentation updated, and I'm happy to do
> it.   I know it would have saved me hours and hours of headaches.   The
> documentation as it stands now is misleading.
>
> of course if you use perl's malloc, the advice helps.

Doc patches are always welcome here. Please patch against the source pod.
http://perl.apache.org/download/docs.html#Download

> I'd still like to know why mod_perl can get into an infinite loop
> writtitng "Callback called exit".    In perl.c, when that happens
> my_exit_jump(); is called which should presumably exit the process, but
> somehow that doesn't happen and some sort of infinite loop occurs
> outside of my code that fills the log of with gigibytes of 'Callback
> called exit' messages.

Normally that happens when perl gets its calls stack messed up and it starts
to loop. I know I hit that myself while developing mp2 when I was trying to
write my own version of die/exit/etc, which I quickly gave up. It is possible
that there is a bug in perl, which gets triggered only in certain situations.
If you can give p5p a reproducable case, I'm sure it'll be fixed.