perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: mp guide: <Perl> sections -> leaks
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 17:11:12 GMT
Brad Bowman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've had problems with <Perl> sections causing leaks with
> graceful restart, at least with some versions/setups of mod_perl.
> I thought the problem should be noted in the guide.
>
> A patch is attached for:
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/troubleshooting.pod.orig
>
> I no longer have my test code, it was a while ago.
> Here's the link and mail exchange that confirmed my tests:
>
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/modperl/304620

Thanks for the patch, Brad. But are you sure this is still the case with the
latest mp1? This thread that you've quoted is 4 years old. And it doesn't show
any code that may cause such a leak.

Or do you refer to this note:

>>it's not a crime, but if you're running Perl code during restart there's a
>>strong chance you'll be growing the server size.  i agree 1M is bizarre
>>though.

In which case this should probably mention:

> +Also, be aware that <Perl> sections can also cause leaks during
> +graceful restarts.  See the (sub)thread:
> +http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/modperl/304620

"when running some perl code"? as in 'besides using <perl> sections to do
dynamic configuration'?