perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "JupiterHost.Net" <mli...@jupiterhost.net>
Subject Re: mod_perl File Extension Configuration instead of a Path Configuration
Date Mon, 03 May 2004 21:24:52 GMT

Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it!

Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 12:39, JupiterHost.Net wrote:
>
>>IE: it would be just as dangerouse as running a regular perl or shell or
>>OTHER_LANGUAGE_HERE script in their home dir, correct?
>
> [...]
>
>>mod_perl scripts are run with the permissions of the user correct?
>>IE if Apache its 'nobody' or otherwsie (getpwuid($>))[0]
>

> No, when you run things with mod_perl, they run in the apache server
> process.  They will always have the same permissions as the apache

So if I did it the .mpl way then /usr/foo/bar.mpl and /usr/foo/baz.mpl
will run as nobody (IE untrusted user with less privileges)

(Regular .pl scripts currently run under suexec which I know mod_perl
can't do since you can't split up a single process like that, will that
hiinder mod_perl from running?)

Which is just as [in]secure as /home/foo/bar.pl ,
/home/foo/stuff/baz.sh, /home/foo/public_html/luz.py, correct?

(Maybe more secure since 'nobody' has less privs than 'foo', correct?)

> server.  It is not safe to run untrusted scripts under mod_perl.  (There
> is all kinds of hand-waving about using Safe or something, but the only
> thing I would trust is an entirely separate server running as an
> unprivileged user.)
>
> More info on configuration options is available here:
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/config.html

I'll definately take a look thanks!

> If you want to just run .pl scripts under specific directories through
> mod_perl, the docs there will tell you how (using a <FilesMatch>
> directive).

Oh, good idea! then I can limit it to cgi-bin and .mpl... hmmmm excellent :)