perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Elizabeth Mattijsen <...@dijkmat.nl>
Subject Re: Fw: ithreads with modperl
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 20:14:52 GMT
At 19:36 +0000 1/9/04, Simon Clewer wrote:
>  For us the point of ithreads is that you don't have to mess about passing
>  messages or whatever - all those problems have been solved by the dudes who
>  wrote the threading module and you and they have given you shared variables
>  for your convenience.
>
>  I had supposed that the entire rationale of ithreads / shared variables is
>  to give you shared variables to make the programmer's life easier.

Which si why I think you should take a look at forks.pm: it gives you
the same API as Perl ithreads, and you don't even have to change your
source, just make sure that "forks" and "forks::threads" are loaded
_before_ "use threads" is done.

>  Apart from the memory usage we it has done everything we want and performs
>  quickly and reliably.

Forks.pm will use a lot less memory (because you get the OS's COW
behaviour you expected) at the expense of a little more CPU usage and
latency.

Liz