perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Dave Rolsky <auta...@urth.org>
Subject Re: Bandwidth limiting module: Apache::Quota
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2004 03:08:41 GMT
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Dave Rolsky wrote:
> [...]
> > The code I wrote isn't really designed so much to throttle requests as to
> > impose quotas, so that you can say "no client can download more than X per
> > day".  This is more useful if you're delivering relatively large files
> > (like 200-900k RSS feeds, which I am) and you don't want people
> > downloading it once per hour.
>
> How do you identify a unique client? i.e. how do you deal with those behind a
> proxy and coming from the same IP?

I don't.  If that's a problem, don't use it that way ;)

Actually, the way I'm using it is to grab the user's user id for my site
from their cookie.  It's pretty flexible because you can just provide it a
subroutine to call to get some sort of identifier for the requestor.

-dave

House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com