perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: ithreads with modperl
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 20:51:18 GMT
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 14:52, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>We really need more real world benchmarks to make a good judgement. It's
>>probably quite certain that the performance is going to be worse if you spawn
>>threads, but don't deploy the benefits available exclusively to threads
>>(shared opcode tree, shared vars, etc).
>

> That reminds me, does anyone know what happened with the shared opcode
> tree?  Does it not work, or is it just dwarfed by the size of the
> non-shared stuff?  The size problems these guys are having seem to point
> to little or no sharing happening between threads.

AFAIK, nothing has happened to the shared opcode tree. perl_clone() clones all
the mutable data, and shares opcodes which were preloaded by the time it's
run. If you load modules after perl_clone, those opcodes don't get shared. it
should be easy to add gtop calls before and after perl_clone call in mp2 to
see how much memory is consumed by perl_clone, which then can be compared to
memory added by loading modules.