perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+apa...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: new() or instance() - what to advise? (was RE: Simple question: POST/...)
Date Thu, 01 May 2003 20:51:48 GMT
"Frank Maas" <frank.maas@cheiron-it.nl> writes:

[...]

> My question is: shouldn't we stop using new and always advise
> to use instance?

For apreq-2 I'd rather see new() and instance() aliased together
into a single constructor.  Subrequests that use Apache::Request
would automatically share the POST data with the main request, but
not the query-string args.

> If not, can somebody explain why one would choose new above instance?

AFAICT there's no technical reason why "new" should be used over
"instance".  The very first discussion on apreq-dev was about this
issue:

What I took away from the discussion at the time was that
Doug was reluctant to introduce any behavioral changes to
the existing Apache::Request codebase.

--
Joe Schaefer