perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Bill Marrs <b...@apocalypse.org>
Subject Re: Migration + Performance
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 11:50:09 GMT
Thanks for the replies to my earlier post.  I'm now fairly confident that
Threaded  Perl will not break my web application.  After some testing, it
seems to be working fine and my code is all native Perl, so it should be
fine as far as I can tell.

However, I quickly discovered that this new setup: Apache
2(server/mpm/prefork), ModPerl 2, Perl 5.8.0 threaded, is noticeably slower
than my old Apache 1.3, MP1, non-threaded Perl 5.6.1.

I'm still hoping that I can get by without having to build Perl/Apache by
hand, so I'm trying to find any configuration settings I might be able to
tweak to get things working as fast as they were.

Unfortunately, I don't have good previous numbers but, roughly my pages
which had been taking around 1 second to load not take about 2 seconds, and
this ratio tends to scale up the larger they are with some more complicated
pages taken several seconds.  This is fairly unacceptable performance-wise,
so I'm very concerned about this.

Of course my site is fairly complicated, and I just wiped and reinstalled
the OS on this test server, so there's a lot of new things that could be
the problem.  I did check on the database(MySQL) and it seems as fast as ever.

My impression, from watching the page load is that it's just slow to output
the text.  I see the top left logo on the page come up fast, but then the
navigation bars and page content takes a second or two.

I'm going to try plugging in Apache::DProf to see if I can find a smoking
gun.  Perhaps, it's just some Perl code that is slow in this new 5.8
version that I can side-step or re-write.  I haven't had much look with
DProf in the past though (it seems to miss most of the subroutines being
called).

I'm not sure where the likely smoking gun is.  Is it Apache's new thread
model?  Is it threaded Perl (seems unlikely), is it mod_perl? (again,
unlikely?). ...or the new Perl (I'm going to look here first).

-bill