perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Bill Marrs <b...@apocalypse.org>
Subject Migration + Threads
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 14:05:50 GMT
Well, I've decided to move toward migrating my environment to Red Hat 9
(Linux) and along with that Apache 2 and mod_perl 2 (I am currently using
RH 7.2, Apache 1.3, and mod_perl 1.26).  I use the startup.pl pre-fork load
of my Perl modules and get decent performance despite massively large httpds.

I'm an Apache::Registry user, and my initial tests (on a test server) seem
to show that switching to ModPerl::Registry works fine and my site seems
functional.  I haven't done extensive testing yet, though.

My main concern at this point is threads.  It looks like RH 9 comes with a
threaded Perl.  From what I've read in poking around, threads may not be
appropriate in a production environment, that mystery bugs might start
appearing due to system calls being non-thread safe.  I'd really rather
avoid building perl/Apache/mod_perl, though.  I've managed for years to use
standard RH rpms and this has made admin a lot easier for me.

My plan is to go ahead with more testing of my test=server site under a
pure threaded Perl, Apache 2, mod_perl 2 environment.  Maybe, it will work
fine and I can just use the standard version of these software packages
from RH.  However, I'm a little afraid that despite my testing, when I
release to the live/production site, it could all blow up in my face and it
will be really hard to back-paddle to a non-threaded environment.

I don't suppose there's some way for me to simply turn off threading in
perl without a rebuild/reinstall?  That would be very nice.  ...or perhaps,
a way to just force mod_perl or Apache to not use threads?  I may be a
little confused about all the issues here.  My technical understanding of
Apache and Perl is limited.

Any advice would be appreciated,

TIA,

-bill