perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Steve Hay <steve....@uk.radan.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Character encodings in web pages
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 11:58:32 GMT
Dr. Helmut Zeilinger wrote:

> My be it has nothing to do with your problem -  some time ago a work with
> XML::Parser and my page (erroniously) gave out some unicode characters
> (at least i think so).
> In that page, all the other "umlaute" where not shown correctly by the
> browser (IE 6).

This sounds like it could be relevant: the page being generated does
contain data from XML files too (parsed with XML::LibXML), and you're
the second person on this list to make this suggestion, so I tried
adding some XML parsed content to the page output by my test program
(new version attached).

Alas, all my a-umlauts still display correctly: one from an XML
attribute, one from XML text content, and one from the plain text
message file.  No doubt it'll run fine for you too.

However, some of the content on the page being generated is user input
from elsewhere in the application (CGI input from previous pages, data
read from plain text files and data parsed from XML files), so it may be
the case that my customer's input includes some characters that make the
page "break", but when I try it it "works" simply because I have
different input that doesn't include any such characters.

I will look into this more closely.

If anybody knows of, or finds any, particular characters that cause the
a-umlauts to be shown incorrectly I'd be interested to hear.

Steve