perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] Benchmarks comparing mp2 vs. mp1
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 00:03:52 GMT
Gunther Birznieks wrote:

> So... Is there an informal rule of thumb as to which platforms threads
> would work better on than others? It seems like something someone would
> want to know in the install docs like "XYZ OS works really well if you
> use the threaded model, but if you use ABC OS, then you should stick to
> pre-fork model because threads do not work as well on ABC OS"...

Two things:

1) experiment: benchmark *your* code using the prefork and worker mpms and
choose what does it for you.

2) we will gain more knowledge and start documenting it if people will start
contributing it. My note was more of waving hands, because I've read various
complaints on various lists going like: "btw, on platform Foo release Bar the
threads implementation sucks".

It's very impractical to try to provide ultimate benchmarks that you can base
your decisions on, if you don't have exactly the same kind of hardware
components, running software, people managing it and sun radiation.
I always repeat: benchmark your particular setup and see whether you are happy
with it. The benchmarking docs show you how to benchmark, and how to make
conclusions based on the received results, they don't try to provide ultimate
rules of what's the right thing to do.