perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] Module naming
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 02:40:04 GMT
McLean, Grant wrote:
> Perrin Harkins wrote:
>
>>We are getting too many questions along the lines of
>>"I tried to run Apache::Foo on mod_perl 2 and it didn't work"
>>for modules which no one has tried to port yet.
>>Or maybe we just need a document listing modules that have
>>been ported.
>

> A separate document sounds like a potential maintenance problem.
>
> The POD or README for a module would seem to be a good place
> for Apache module authors to declare their mod_perl version
> support.  That way people can tell from browsing search.cpan.org
> whether something is expected to work before they even download
> it.
>
> Of course the default assumption at the moment should probably
> be that if a module doesn't say which version of the mod_perl
> API it was written to then it almost certainly only works with
> the 1.0 API.  How we communicate to people that that should be
> the default assumption is a tricky problem.

I'll shortly post a proposal to p5p/module-authors suggesting a cpan/pause
support for this kind of version requirements. There is a whole new META.yaml
thing, that all CPAN module developers will become familiar with soon. And it
should provide the necessary information to users. Next
CPAN.pm/search.cpan.org, etc should be able to help users to make right decisions.