perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: mod_perl Vs mod_cgid
Date Sun, 04 May 2003 23:30:59 GMT
Issac Goldstand wrote:
> Hey all,
>   I was just putting the finishing touches on a presentation that I'm giving
> in a few days, when I came across a reference that I'd made to mod_cgid.  In
> it, I'd theorized that being that there's a static daemon running all of the
> CGI scripts, one could theoretically create an Apache::DBI -like persistant
> DBI connection layer.  In doing so, it occurred to me that mod_cgid seems,
> in that respect, to be very similar to Apache::PerlRun, and I got to
> wondering: what exactly *are* the differences?
>
> Anyone care to set the record straight for me?

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_cgid.html
My understanding is that it only optimizes the forking, doing the preforking
for the cgi scripts and handing them a ready to run process.

It has none of the benefits of Apache::PerlRun and mod_perl, because it
doesn't keep the perl interpreter around, so the code doesn't persist.

The closest relative of mod_perl in the persistand land, would be SpeedyCGI
http://search.cpan.org/search?query=speedycgi&mode=module
and somewhat related:
PPerl http://search.cpan.org/search?query=pperl&mode=module