perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Handler attributes
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 04:36:09 GMT
Marc M. Adkins wrote:
>>Can you please test the current modperl-2.0 cvs or alternatively
>>apply this
>>patch and let me know if this works now without the workaround?
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-cvs&m=105183931629250&w=2
>

> Unfortunately I'm not building Apache or mod_perl right at the moment.  I
> get sooooo frustrated building open-source / cross-platform packages on
> Windows I'm in kind of avoidance mode right now.  You could probably talk
> (or guilt) me into it but probably not before next week.  All that
> downloading and fussing and breaking of furniture to consider.
>
> Seems ungrateful I know...but I really have had a lot of serious pain
> building stuff on Windows and my fuse has gotten short.  I went to build APR
> or Apache just a few weeks ago and ran into some 'usual problem' (like I
> would have to give M$ money for new versions of software or download 133Mb
> of software over a 56K line or something like that) and just blew it off and
> downloaded binaries.  Sigh.
>
> So right now I'm running:
>
> 	Apache 		2.0.45
> 	mod_perl 		1.99_09-dev
> 	ActiveState Perl	build 804 (5.8.0)
> 	Windows		2000
>
> all from binaries _including_ mod_perl which I got from wherever
> perl.apache.org said to get it.
>
> Yell at me some offline and I'll probably acquire the proverbial round tuit.

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure that my patch fixes the problem. It was obviously
different from the execution order on non-vhost server.

As for M$ building probs, consider getting an unix flavor OS, I have heard
people reporting good results with using vmware if you can't afford dropping M$.

[...]

> So when I demonstrated the problem to myself I went back to the doc and lo
> and behold, there it was:
>
> 	HTTP request output filters should probably also unset the C-L header,
> 	if they change the size of the data that goes through it. (e.g. lc()
> 	filter shouldn't do it).
>
>   		$filter->r->headers_out->unset('Content-Length');
>
> A good candidate for boldface in the final documentation revision, but all
> my own problem even so.

;)

> Note that my dummy PerlResponseHandler made it work OK where using the file
> straight from Apache did not.  Well, whaddyaknow, my dummy
> PerlResponseHandler never set the content length.  Apache probably does.
> Mystery solved (I think).

Yes, that must be it. Cool!

While you work through the filter docs, if you have any suggestions please
mentions those. doc patches to improve language, clarity, etc. are very welcome.