perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "dreamwvr@dreamwvr.com" <dream...@dreamwvr.com>
Subject Re: Strategy against 'trivial' DOS attacks?
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 17:12:43 GMT
On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 03:05:58PM +0000, mod_perl@att.net wrote:
> Alex:
>
> mod_throttle312 works pretty well in our cases -- mayeb I am just lucky. (The box
> are typically redhat 7 with 512M. The throttle is made on number of HTML files
> served per 10 seconds per IP.) Here is a good mod_perl throttle module:
> http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col17.html
>
> Peter
> > On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 11:49:39AM -0600, dreamwvr@dreamwvr.com wrote:
> > > http://www.snert.com/Software/mod_throttle/
> >
> > Oh NO!!! This module is an effective DoS attack by itself! It is a bunch of
> > code totally unworking under any significant load!
> >
> > Author has dropped any work on it years ago. Experiment with it nearly cost
> > me my job. Don't try it without total rewriting.
> >
> > And it doesn't solve the problem. HTTP filters in FreeBSD kernel can.
Yes. As well someone I know uses it in a very large env w/o any troubles
so @ the very least it is better than nothing there at all. YMMV

Best Regards,
dreamwvr@dreamwvr.com

--
/*  Security is a work in progress - dreamwvr                 */
#                               48 69 65 72 6F 70 68 61 6E 74 32