perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Mithun Bhattacharya <inz...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Character encodings in web pages
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 15:34:51 GMT

> Steve,
>
> How do you get on with '' signs?  .. I have a very similar problem
> with
> A(umlaut)'s appearing in front of pound signs and various other
> chars.
>
> In my case it appears to be to do with LibXML.. You have to be very
> careful as I remember not to switch from UTF8 to iso-1859-1 or back

In my case the XML file was modifiable by the users therefore I kept
the XML in ISO-8859-1 before parsing I converted it to UTF-8 using
Unicode::String and post parsing any text which has to go to the HTML I
convert back to ISO-8859-1 using Unicode::String. I have the luxury of
assumming that the user of my system is going to use ISO-8859-1 This
might not apply to others.

Mithun