perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Perrin Harkins <per...@elem.com>
Subject Re: Migration + Threads
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 22:51:51 GMT
On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 18:21, Dave Rolsky wrote:
> On Thu, 8 May 2003, Perrin Harkins wrote:
>
> > >   I'd really rather
> > > avoid building perl/Apache/mod_perl, though.  I've managed for years to use
> > > standard RH rpms and this has made admin a lot easier for me.
> >
> > Building them is quite easy on a linux system.  You should consider it
> > if you are concerned about performance and mystery bugs.
>
> And then you lose the advantage of being able to install new packages to
> fix bugs, upgrade, etc., and you're stuck building your own forever, and
> the default build won't respect your distro's filesystem layout, and so
> on.  And if you have 10 web servers you now have to build it ten times.

I wasn't advocating building from source on every target machine.  Most
places I've worked at built our own and then made RPMs from them so we
could put them on a cluster of machines and ensure that everyone was
using the same one.

> A better solution imght be to build your own packages, based on the vendor
> packages, and maintain the changes a set of patches to the vendor source
> package, or something like that.

Changing the spec file for a source RPM and recompiling is pretty easy
to do.  One problem with Red Hat 8 and 9 is that they use a locale
setting (en_US.UTF-8) that breaks Perl in many cases.  Many CPAN
modules, and perl 5.8 itself, will not pass their tests unless you
change this to something sane like en_US.ISO8859-1.  This is done in
/etc/sysconfig/i18n.

- Perrin