perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Perrin Harkins <per...@elem.com>
Subject Re: Migration + Threads
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 16:24:41 GMT
On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 10:05, Bill Marrs wrote:
> My main concern at this point is threads.  It looks like RH 9 comes with a
> threaded Perl.  From what I've read in poking around, threads may not be
> appropriate in a production environment, that mystery bugs might start
> appearing due to system calls being non-thread safe.

Also, threads have a significant impact on performance.  See the
benchmarks posted recently by Joshua Chamas.

>   I'd really rather
> avoid building perl/Apache/mod_perl, though.  I've managed for years to use
> standard RH rpms and this has made admin a lot easier for me.

Building them is quite easy on a linux system.  You should consider it
if you are concerned about performance and mystery bugs.

> I don't suppose there's some way for me to simply turn off threading in
> perl without a rebuild/reinstall?  That would be very nice.  ...or perhaps,
> a way to just force mod_perl or Apache to not use threads?

The prefork MPM doesn't use threads, but you still pay a performance
penalty for having them compiled into perl at all.

- Perrin