perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Tom Gazzini" <t...@barzakh.co.uk>
Subject RE: Ensim
Date Mon, 05 May 2003 12:36:26 GMT
> > Are there any Ensim users out there who could just point me in the
> > right direction
>
> Could you find out a little more about your box and let us
> know what else you have in there?  A quick glance at the
> Ensim web site wasn't particularly informative.  Nor inspiring:
>
> "Where other software providers fail, Ensim has the expertise
> to deliver professional software to professional hosting
> businesses. With a seasoned executive management team and
> strong backing from leading members of the investment
> community, only Ensim has the products, technology,
> customers, partners and resources to lead and deliver the
> next generation of professional hosting solutions."
>
> Yuk.

Personally, I ditched ensim on my box and just did a complete rebuild of
Apache/1.3.27 with mod_perl/1.27. I abandoned Ensim's directory
structure for a pure and simple one that doesn't depart too much from
the default Apache config. This directory structure can grow in
complexity according to MY requirements and understanding, and NOT
according to some flaky commercial 3rd party software.

I can envisage Ensim being useful for a linux box being used for
reselling domain space, and by an administrator who has a fear of the
command line that cannot be overcome (ie., they need a web interface).
However, for any other scenario I cannot understand why you would need
to keep Ensim. Sure, some web hosts pre-install it on their linux boxes
(like mine did), but if you have full root access (like I do), I see no
reason why you should keep ensim around. I don't like dictators... you
have nothing to lose but your chains.

Of course, if you don't have full root access it's another story.

Tom