perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: PerlCleanupHandler called from default-handler
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 18:00:50 GMT

Tom Murphy wrote:
> I have written a Apache::DBILogger style log mechanism.  It is enabled via
> the perl.conf in the Server context as:
>
> PerlCleanupHandler  NC::LogHandler
>
> It works correctly, except for the fact that request handle by the
> default-handler do not call this handler.  The mod_perl cookbook makes note
> that: "..a C module has to specifically want this processing to occur-it is
> not called automatically."

well, what we said is true, but you're reading it the wrong way :)

basically, all of the Perl*Handler directives - from
PerlPostReadRequestHandler to PerlCleanupHandler - can be thought of as
parts of the request cycle.  however, this is true for all but the
PerlCleanupHandler, which really isn't part of the request cycle - mod_perl
just makes it look that way.  what's really happening is that mod_perl is
hooking your Perl handler into the per-request cleanup that Apache offers
all C modules (mod_perl included).  so it _should_ be called for every
request it is configured to run for (should being highly caveated - people
have reported that _sometimes_ this doesn't really happen).

understanding that is A Good Thing.  however, it's not going to help you
very much here :)

> How do I allow for this handler to be called on
> all requests?  Note I also tried this as a PerlLogHandler to no avail.

if the PerlLogHandler doesn't get called then you probably have a
configuration problem.  both of these can exist on their own, outside of a
container. something like

PerlLogHandler NC::LogHandler
<Location foo>

if that doesn't show your log handler running then you need to check your
error log for errors and make sure your handler compiles under perl -cw or
something - if the log handler errors out, you really can't see it unless
you look.

of course, all this assumes that you built with EVERYTHING=1 - check
Apache::Status to make sure.

another thing you can try if that doesn't work out is compiling a debugging
mod_perl (PERL_DEBUG=1 and PERL_TRACE=1 when building) and set PerlSetEnv
MOD_PERL_TRACE on and watch the verbose output.

HTH

--Geoff