perl-modperl mailing list archives

From mer...@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz)
Subject Re: [OT]: In my Farthers House there are many mansions
Date Sun, 03 Nov 2002 19:19:37 GMT
>>>>> "Tony" == Tony Bowden <tony-modperl@kasei.com> writes:

Tony> We're drifting further and further off topic here, but the trick to the
Tony> Schwartzian Transform is the caching, not the maps. The maps are just a
Tony> convenient construct that allows the whole thing to be written in one
Tony> command, without lots of temporary variables.

Exactly.  You're caching the complex sort-function so that it
doesn't need to be recomputed for the various pairings, leading
to either a slowdown or phase errors.