perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Issac Goldstand" <mar...@beamartyr.net>
Subject [OT] Re: asynchronous downloads
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2002 17:57:21 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <dom@idealx.com>
To: <modperl@perl.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: asynchronous downloads

> > How do I send a file asynchronously?
> >
> > The classic example is download sites.  You click on the file you want
and
> > it generates a thankyou page for your browser and also sends the file.
> >
> > So what's the correct way to do this?
> >

>   Use a refresh META tag on the thank-you page, that points to the
> requested file. Look at any download page at SourceForge to see how it
> is done.
>
>   Alternatively, you can return a multipart/mixed MIME message with
> both documents as the result of the HTTP request.

Actually, that is not defined for HTTP.  Although people commonly
interchange the Content-Type field defined by HTTP, and that defined by
MIME, the two are not interchangable.  The closest that HTTP comes to
working with multipart fields is the multipart/form-data Content-Type
defined in RFC 2388 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2388.txt)  As it happens, I
noticed this a couple of years ago, and am currently planning an I-D which
will implement multipart/related HTTP responses.  If anyone at all is
interested in this, please don't hesitate to contact me about it - BUT,
let's keep that off-list, please :-)

  Issac