perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Calbazana, Al" <ACalbaz...@epotec.com>
Subject lame load balancer, mod_proxy, and sticky sessions
Date Fri, 06 Sep 2002 12:44:39 GMT
Hello,

I'd like to know if it is possible to use mod_proxy as a sticky session
manager.  Basically, I'd like to put mod_proxy behind the load balancer and
allow the proxy servers to talk to the mod_perl servers.  Unfortunately, the
load balancer does not allow for "sticky" sessions and only bounces the user
round-robin style.  I am playing with the idea of sending a cookie down to
the client and using it to stick a user to a particular mod_perl server, but
I'd like mod_proxy to figure it out which server and send the user to the
defined machine.  I'd also like to enable a "checking" mechanism to
determine if a mod_perl server is up before the user is sent to the location
specified in the cookie.  If the machine that the client is stuck to is
down, I'd like to reroute.

I know high powered load balancers do this already, but I'd like to explore
dedicating a few medium sized servers to do as there is surplus of these and
f5's cost $$$.  I apologize in advance if this is a bit off topic!

Thanks,

Al

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com